Monday, June 23, 2008

Romanticism.

I think one palpable difference between our parents' generation and ours is our inability to tolerate. I was at my aunt's health shop at raffles place talking to one of her employees and she was telling me how many customers have said to her face, "how can you even dare to work in town when you can't even speak English". When I heard that, I was all shocked and even a little bit outraged. I imagined myself demanding an apology and then go home to mope and complain. But the employee was all okay and replied to customers "So why don't you give me a chance to learn?". She didn't even get angry. I bet none of the children these days are able to do that. we are quick to anger, and unable to accept criticisms. Are we so spoilt that we'd never understand true hardship or hard work? we give up easy at the smallest of setbacks, thinking that we've already done our best. we stretch out our hand, and what we want, we usually get. when we don't, we stamp our foot, bitch, scream and whine. We expect too much, and we expect shortcuts to get what we want. is it because of how we were raised or is it the false sense of security a higher education gives us? I think it's both. And as we grow up, we (hopefully) get to realise that most of the things in this world will not go our way. and we will learn it the hard way, after someone's given you the slap on your face or the spit in your eye. It all comes down to what we do after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home